Monday, January 2, 2017

Visions for 2017!

Monday Moment:

Welcome 2017!

I hope all of you had a great winter break!  Every year at this time, most people think about how they can improve themselves and/or their habits for the new calendar year.  Many make new resolutions to exercise, be nice, lose weight, go see their mother once a week, etc.  As I was making preparations for the new year, I stumbled across a blog written by a life coach named Susan Hyatt.  The title of her blog entry was "What is your word this year?"  She encouraged her listeners to find a word that would summarize their goals and visions for 2017 and talked about the importance of setting goals and having a personal vision of where we want to go in life.

As I reflected on her post, I quickly realized this form of resolution was much deeper than my typical resolution of exercising (which lasts for about a month).  I also realized that I have never taken the time to really think about my vision, meaning I have been wondering around without a clear understanding of my own personal goals.  After much thought (and I am not good at this), I think my "word for the year" will be GROW.  I want to grow as a mother, as a leader in the school and in the community.  I want to take time to read articles, learn from other perspectives and experiences and be willing to keep my mind open to new thoughts and ideas.  I want to grow my own network of experts and never forget the importance of learning something new everyday.  I do not want to be afraid to accept new challenges and be willing to fail several times before getting it right - because that is how true growth really occurs!

My challenge to you is find your "word of the year" and post it proudly!  You can even share your word with us below in the comments!  Let all of us help you reach your goals and vision for 2017!!

School Notes: 

* Scheduling will begin soon for students in grades 11-8.  Mrs. Backer will be coming into classrooms later in January to speak with students.  If you have any scheduling ideas for next year, please see me as soon as possible!
* The Perry Central After-School program has been fortunate enough to receive some extra funding for student programming.  There will be several (extra) opportunities for students coming this semester.  As soon as we get the details finalized, we will be communicating this with you soon!  Thank you to Tara and Gary for leading the way!
* We will be continuing walk-through, short and long evaluations this semester.  Please do not forget your Domain 1 and 3 will be due the week after Spring Break. More information will be forth-coming!
* Grades will be "dumping" at 11:59 p.m. on January 5th!


Important Dates:  
January 3rd - Varsity Girls Basketball @ home vs. Paoli - 5:30 p.m.

January 5th - Vocational Meeting  7:20 a.m. in high school library

January 6th - Current college freshman to speak to juniors and seniors 3rd & 4th period (see email for deatils)

January 7th - Varsity Girls Baksetball @ home vs. North Posey - 12:00 p.m./ Varsity Boys Basketball @ home vs. Forest Park - 5:30 (Celebration of 1997 Boys Varsity Basketball Sectional Team)

January 11th - After School required PLC Meeting 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. - more details to come! 

2 comments: