Sunday, December 2, 2018

I'm SO Happy!

This meme caught my attention this weekend.  It reminded me of my feelings when I had asked my youngest son to do his homework for the 15th time!  When Jediah, my husband, came into the room and asked me where the coffee was I said, “In the cabinet” in what I thought was my nicest voice, but he did not agree.  He gave me the look after that!  J  At that moment, I realized how dysregulated I was.  Even though I was trying to hide anger, my body language and tone of voice was saying otherwise! 
Image result for angry memeWe have all been in these situations and it is a very human response to be upset and carry over our dysregulated minds to the next task on our agenda.  I remember in college in my methods class where some of my college friends were students acting up while I was teaching.  I took care of them very sternly, but my professor reminded me that I couldn’t be upset with the rest of the class when I tried to pull the lesson back together!  Even though I was trying not to seem upset, my body language and tone of voice (non-verbal’s) proved differently.  It is SO Hard!  Regulation is nearly impossible to fake! 

Jules Alvarado talks to us about the importance of staying regulated when we work with students.  “You cannot give what you do not have,” is a quote from her that reminds us that we cannot help a child or other adults regulate until we ourselves have regulated.  Teaching our students to regulate is not enough, as it is co-regulation (calmness from both parties) where we can find true solutions. 

Even though it is hard to do, sometimes we must be honest with ourselves about where we are in this process.  It is important to know that it is okay to not be perfect, but just being aware of our own response is a great step. 


As for me, I am going to take a few deep breaths, remind myself that Justin will respond better if I am calm and try to have a better day!  J   
Image may contain: text


Important Information: 

* Math Professional Development - Laurie Ferry, math expert, will be at Perry Central this Thursday and Friday.  Her services are paid for by a grant.  We are fortunate to have her leadership and support through these changes in math curriculum! 

* Work Base Learning/Graduation Pathways Meeting - Seniors in an internship will meet in the high school library on Friday during Lunch/WIN to fill out important paperwork for the new graduation pathways requirements!  Thank you to Mike Bishop for leading this effort!

Important Dates: 

Monday, December 3 - Girls Varsity Basketball @  West Washington 5:30 p.m.

Tuesday, December 4 - Boys Varsity Basketball @ Home vs. Crawford County 5:30 p.m.

Thursday, December 6 - Girls Varsity Basketball @ Home vs. Tecumseh  5:30 p.m.

Friday, December 7th - Boys Varsity Basketball @ Wood Memorial  6:00 p.m.

Saturday, December 8th - High School Christmas Dance




No comments:

Post a Comment