Sunday, November 11, 2018

Relationships, Relationships, Relationships

When I first challenged myself to writing a blog, my original purpose was to promote communication.  Little did I know taking some time every weekend to think about what I would write would be such a great reflection tool for me as a professional.  There are some weeks that I really fall into true writer's block!  This is one of those weekends.  After taking many of my own brain breaks; cleaning out my car, folding clothes, opening the refrigerator 10 times to look at that same piece of chocolate I shouldn't eat. . . I finally decided that maybe I should read some articles from some of my favorite researchers.  My quest led me to many great articles by Laurie Desautels. 

Brain research has been on my mind lately.  We have so many students with so many different needs.  Even though they are hard to teach and struggle with their peers, when you really get to know them they are kids that truly do have a good heart and a LOT of stress in their lives.  Their stories sometimes catch me wondering how in the world they even had the energy to get out of bed and come to school to learn!  Many of them are searching for ways to find safety and regulation; their underdeveloped brains just lead them to tricky decision making. 

Image result for relationship quotes in educationIn my quest for literature this weekend, I found that Laurie has many, many great article that help us find hope in helping these students.  All of her ideas are wonderful but can be overwhelming, especially as we are all learning.  During my reading, I found one common theme that seemed to have the most power and that is building strong relationships.  Laurie Desautels writes, "Research clearly points to the power of relationships and attachment with regard to helping students create a new patterned memory template that embraces a safe and predictable connection, so that attachments begin to grow, spreading the seeds of resiliency."

I feel like I tried to do this a little bit this week during the Veteran's Day program.  I was lucky enough to select my seat right next to a group of boys that were having a hard time paying attention.  I tried to do the SHHH thing. .  but they didn't care.  I then decided to look at this situation through their eyes.  We were in the gym squished due to lack of seating, kindergartners were singing and I am not sure they knew exactly what a Veteran was.  So, I just leaned over and asked them if they had anyone in their family that was in the military.  They all answered me and talked to me about their family members with pride.  I got to tell stories about my dad as well.  We also talked about what the layout of the day's presentation was going to look like for the rest of the hour and we all talked in amazement about the adults sitting in the chairs below that served - many recognized bus drivers, etc. they knew.  I had to leave before the presentation was over.  I told them I appreciated how they were acting and to please keep working hard at it after I left. I don't know if their improved behavior was due to our conversation, but I would like to think so.  I do know that it saved me from looking like a nagging nelly that no one ever listens to!  :-)  

Helping our students build resiliency and learning to self-regulate will only lead to better decision making and learning.  I challenge you this week to look at the students in your classrooms and find the one student that you are struggling with the most.  Find a way to make a connection with that student.  Talk to them about their favorite sports team, ask them what their hobbies are, etc.  It may take a while for them to warm up, but you may find you have more in common than you think!  By doing this, you are creating a safe and predictable learning environment for your students - just what they need to be successful!



Important Information:

Classroom Management Tip of the Week:  Greet students at your door EVERYDAY!  Research shows that greeting students and welcoming them with positive messages gives them social/emotional support, promotes their sense of belonging, increases engagement and reduces classroom behavior.  What are the steps?  1.  Say the student's name  2.  Make eye contact   3.  Give a non-verbal greeting (hand-shake, high 5)   4.  Give a few words of encouragement   5.  Ask how their day is going   It will make your classroom time go even better!  Don't believe me?  Read this research article by Laurie Desautels!  :-)     Article Here

Innovate WithIN - Candace Dodson will be at Perry Central on Monday to talk about a new state-wide program called Innovate WithIN.  The idea is to encourage entrepreneurship mindsets among our all of our students.  Around 40% of people across the nation under the age of 30 work for themselves.  We also know our country's economy has been successful because of innovation!  Ian Jarboe will be taking the lead on this project.  We are so excited to see what will happen when we let our students dream! 

Faculty Meeting Rescheduled:  Due to a conflict next week, we are going to move our faculty meeting to Tuesday, November 27th at 7:20 a.m.  Looking forward to seeing you all there! 

 9th Grade Field Trip - On Monday, November 19th all 9th grade students will be participating in a college field trip!  Thank you to Maria Sweat for organizing and leading this event.  It is an important activity for students in our Early College High School!

Important Dates: 

Monday, November 12 - School Board Meeting 6:30 p.m. High School Library/ Varsity Volleyball & Cross Country Athletic Banquet 6:00 p.m.

Tuesday, November 13 - Varsity Football & Cheerleading Banquet  6:00 p.m.

Thursday, November 15 - Varsity Girls Basketball vs. Forest Park  5:30 p.m. 

Monday, November 19th - Freshman College Field Trip

Tuesday, November 20th - Last Day before Thanksgiving Break!  :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment