Monday, September 3, 2018

American Heroes

This weekend, one of America's leaders was laid to rest, John McCain.  Regardless of your political views,  it is easy to recognize that his service and sacrifice to our country make him an American Hero.  For some reason, I was obsessed by his celebration of life on Saturday. President Obama and President Bush both asked to speak; showing respect across party lines. The eulogy given by his daughter touched me the most.  She talked about her dad's life of service as an admiral, prisoner of war, senator and presidential nominee.  He served his country because he loved it.  She also mentioned that even though he was great at all of these things, he was even better at being a father.
Image result for "Today is only one day in all the days that will ever be. But what will happen in all the other days that ever come can depend on what you do today.”

Her tears of pride, purpose and sadness touched me this weekend as I couldn't help but make parallels to my own life.  Even though it is at a much simpler level, her description of her dad reminded me of my own father and the feelings I felt when he left earth.  My dad served his country in Vietnam, earning a purple heart, but never retelling the story of how he earned it. He loved Perry County and served as a commissioner for 12 years. My dad taught me by example the importance of working with individuals, not by party affiliation.  He too was a great father.  I remember how he would help me taught me to shoot free throws, listened to me practice speeches for 4-H and taught me how to run equipment on the farm.

America is full of heroes; father figures who influence our lives well beyond their lives on earth.  My dad was an ordinary man who left an extraordinary impact on my life.  Many could tell the same stories of your own father or individuals who acted as fathers in your lives.  Events like this just allow us all to reflect and find ways to pay forward what has been given to us.   


School Notes:
Virtual Day:  High School teachers will meet in the High School Library at 8:00 a.m. for a quick run down of the agenda!  Assistants can meet in the elementary cafeteria.  Donuts and coffee will be available in the elementary cafeteria starting at 6:45 a.m.

Alice Training for Students:  On September 18th, Derrick Lawalin and Alan Malone will be training students grades 5-12 on ALICE.  We will have a schedule of the day posted shortly.  

EWIN Visit:  September 17th we will host an EWIN visit at Perry Central.  This visit will be an opportunity for other schools and communities to learn about our Earn and Learn programs at Perry Central.  More information will follow soon!

Parent - Teacher Conferences:  September 20th will be parent-teacher conferences.  We would like teachers to think about 8-10 students whom you feel the need to get to know better and send personal invitations to their parents to attend.  (If you need help with this, please let me know.)  Sometimes invitations via email or texting can serve other families best!  More information will be coming to help you plan for your day!

Important Dates: 

Tuesday, September 4th - Varsity Volleyball @ Home vs. Crawford County 5:30 p.m.

Thursday, September 6th - Varsity Volleyball @ Tell City 5:30 p.m.

Friday, September 7th - Varsity Football @ Paoli  6:30 p.m.

Saturday, September 8th - Varsity Volleyball Evansville Tourney/ Central High School


No comments:

Post a Comment