Sunday, April 16, 2017

Golden Opportunities


Image result for you have a four folded life to live: a heart, a brain a soul - to use and develop these is not a task but a golden opportunity
It is hard to believe that I have been out of 4-H for twenty years and even harder to believe that my own children are old enough to participate!  4-H was a very big part of my life.  Showing cattle, spending time in leadership camps and learning how to give back to my community became a favorite past-time of mine.  I had the opportunity to travel, learn leadership skills, meet people from around the state and developed my passion and interest in youth development.  Through my many trips as a high school student to Purdue's campus, I found myself feeling at home and desiring to further my education there. I owe a lot to this program and hope  my own children gain as much as my husband and I did.

I think sometimes, we forget the value of organizations like 4-H, Key Club, BPA, Student Council, FFA, etc.  When we think of teaching professional skills (or work ethic/soft skills) and how to work hard, these organizations provide real-world opportunities and foster the growth of a child.   I think we are fortunate at Perry Central to have a long list of clubs and organizations that provide these opportunities for our students.  Students have the opportunity to be involved in Business Professionals of America (BPA), FFA, Math Club, Student Council, Commodore Manufacturing, Art Club, Commodores in Christ, Band, Literature Club, Robotics/STEM, and the list goes on and on.  We all need to encourage our students to get involved.  I believe that it is a very important component in developing the whole child.  

While in 4-H, I was privileged enough to earn the I Dare You Award.  The award allowed me to travel to California for a leadership seminar, and also gave me a book on how to be a leader by William H. Danforth.  One quote I will always remember from this book is " You have a four-folded life to live: a body, a brain, a heart and soul.  To use and develop these is not a task, but a golden opportunity."  

At Perry Central, it is our goal to fully develop these parts of life for all of our students.  Let's help all of our students take advantage of these golden opportunities and get them involved!  


School Notes:

- ISTEP testing - An email was sent out this week with the ISTEP schedule for the end of the month.  Please review it!  Our first test will be Thursday, April 20th!

- End of School Year Calendar - Click here to find calendar.

PLC Data - Just a reminder about your PLC Data being due on April 14th.

PLC Assessments - reminder to turn in 4th quarter 4.5/9 week assessments by April 20th in google classroom

- Faculty Meeting - Tuesday morning at 7:20 a.m.


Important Dates:

Monday, April 17: Varsity Boys Baseball vs. Cannelton @ home  4:30/ Varsity softball @ Forest Park 5:00/ Varsity Golf @ Lulcas Oil 4:15

Tuesday, April 18: Faculty Meeting 7:20/ Varsity baseball vs. Boonville @ home 6:00/ Girls Varsity Track @ home 4:15

Wednesday, April 19: Varsity baseball @ Orleans 5:00

Thursday, April 20:  ISTEP Testing - first ELA session!!/ Girls varsity softball @ home vs. Southridge 5:00/ Boys & girls varsity track @ Tell City 4:30/ Varsity golf @ Christmas Lake 4:30

Friday, April 21: Varsity baseball @ Mitchell 4:30/ Varsity softball @ home vs. Tecumseh 5:00


No comments:

Post a Comment