Monday, November 14, 2016

Monday Moment:

"We can choose to be grateful, no matter what."  Deiter Uchtodorf

This quote caught my eye this week.  I have found that the simple process of gratitude can really change a person's perspective on life.  Even in our darkest moments there are glimmers of hope.

It reminds me of losing my dad to cancer.  Obviously, it was one of the most devastating times for our family. Seeing a man who lived for working on the farm, supporting his kids and grand kids and giving back to the community he lived in, being forced quit was a heart wrenching time.  The man I was always able to lean on was suddenly relying on his family to keep him going.  Watching him leave this world and enter into his eternal life still leaves our family with an emptiness that is hard to describe.

But, I am still grateful for these times and memories of my dad.  He never complained one time about being sick and always tried to be happy when we were there.  We were able to have some great conversations and spend some of the best quality time together as a family.  I had no idea how many people my dad touched in his life until his funeral.  The number of people who stood in line just to pay their respects was heartwarming and touching.

Focusing on these positives experiences through my dad's death is uplifting and peaceful.  And even though I would do anything to have him back,  I am grateful for these experiences.  I have found having a grateful attitude can change one's perspective in life.

So my challenge to you this week is to be grateful.  Our lives can be so overwhelming at times but if we can focus on the positives and pass along the attitude of gratitude, I believe we can overcome anything.

Promising Practices:

We have a great school filled with great kids.    I know I do not need to say that out loud, but sometimes I do not think we say it enough.  This week I was able to attend a few events with our students that just made me proud.  During FedEx Day, I was reminded of how thoughtful our students are.  Every FedEx project came from the heart and they all gave back to the school or community in one way or another.  Even though this election year can make us worry about the future of America, I know the future of Perry County is bright with the leaders we have in our building.

Tuesday night were our Fall Athletic Banquets.  Our athletes accepted their awards and accolades in the most humble ways and exhibited traits of what true team spirit looks like.  They were quick to congratulate their team mates and show appreciation to the coaching staff and their parents.

And, Saturday night I traveled to the University of Louisville to watch our band students participate in the U of L Band Days.  They got to play under the big lights with over 1100 other high school band students.  They always  represent Perry Central so well by their politeness, strong work ethic and pride.

These are just three small examples of the impact our student body made in just one week!  I know they are always successful because of the role models they have as teachers, sponsors, assistants and parents.  Thanks for all you do! Hope you have a great week!

Important Dates:  
November 15th - High School Faculty Meeting 7:20 a.m.  McDonald's Breakfast!!/ Girls Varsity Basketball @ South Spencer

November 16th - Vocational Meeting with Jarred Howard  7:20 a.m.  (He is bringing donuts!)

November 17th - RTI Meeting 7:20 a.m. (Finishing sharing the book)/ Girls Varsity Basketball hosts Forest Park

-


Have a Great Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment